An acai bowl is a blend of acai berries and other nutritious fruits topped with various seeds and nuts. Acai berries are a small fruit indigenous to South America and have earned superfood status because of their high antioxidant levels.
They’re definitely becoming a trendy healthy snack; acai smoothie bowl shops are everywhere now! You can even find frozen acai berry puree packets in most grocery stores with the frozen fruits. When you get home, just break up your acai into bits, throw it into the blender with the other fruits, and you’re set!
Are Acai Bowls Healthy?
Acai bowls are packed with nutrients, such as fiber, protein, vitamins, and antioxidant properties. The fruit ingredients are naturally high in sugar, and these acai bowls are essentially fruit-based. That said, to keep your acai bowls healthy, you can opt for plain non-fat yogurt instead of vanilla. Substitute the honey with maple syrup or omit it completely, and choose lower-calorie topping ingredients for your acai bowl.
How to Make an Acai Bowl?
These frozen acai bowls are quick and super easy to make, and they’re packed with good-for-you stuff! This recipe starts with a smoothie base. We will be using frozen banana, acai berry puree, apple juice, vanilla yogurt, and frozen berries.
Be ready to enjoy a thick and creamy smoothie as it marries perfectly with the other ingredients; you don’t even taste the acai. You will want your acai blend to be on the thick side because you’re going to eat it out of a bowl with a spoon. Below is everything you need to know about making your own acai bowl at home and nailing it the first time!
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Total time: 10 minutes
- Servings: 2 -3 servings (depending on how many toppings you’re using)
- Calories: 141
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Protein: 1g
- Fat: 1g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Sodium: 4 mg
- Potassium: 336 mg
- Fiber: 4 g
- Sugar: 25 g
- Vitamin A: 64IU
- Vitamin C: 44 mg
- Calcium: 23 mg
- Iron: 1mg
- 1 packet frozen acai berry (100 grams)
- 1/2 cup apple juice with no added sugar (118g)
- 1/2 cup frozen banana slices
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
Topping your bowl: Below is some of our recommendations. Feel free to add your favorite toppings in your desired quantity.
- 1 tablespoon honey (you can either add this on top or add it to the mixture during the blending process)
- Some vanilla granola or a similar homemade granola
- Freshly chopped fruits: strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and banana
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut
- Join the acai berry packet, banana, apple juice, strawberries, and blueberries in a high-powered blender. Blend until the mixture resembles a smoothie. Pour into a wide bowl.
- Using your toppings of choice, top your bowl with as many of your favorites as you want. However, in this acai bowl recipe, we will use granola, fresh, thinly sliced fruits, chia seeds, and coconut.
- Sprinkle about a tablespoon of honey over the final product, and enjoy right then and there.
- Note 1: For best results, it’s essential to use a high-powered blender. Less powerful blenders may struggle to break the frozen ingredients, and by the time it does, the blender will ruin the final product and compromise the final texture.
- Note 2: To make the vegan version, simply drop the honey from the ingredients list, and make sure the granola you’re using is vegan.
Acai Bowl Tips
- We find that acai bowls are best if served immediately to preserve the optimal consistency. If you’re planning on making it in advance as part of your meal prep plan, you can blend the mixture and store it in the freezer (small containers). When you’re ready to eat it, let the acai mixture thaw, stir it a bit, and you’re good to go.
- If you’re looking to experiment with this recipe, we recommend you try the vegan version. You can use non-dairy yogurt, agave, or maple syrup as a substitute for honey.
- Not a big fan of berries? You can blend your acai with fruits, such as peaches, mango, or pineapple if you fancy distinct flavors.
There you go! Everything you need to know to make your own delicious acai bowl at home!