We’ve all had puff pastries at some point in our lives. They’re the kind of snack that makes things feel like a special occasion. Oh, those thin, flaky layers, and that delicious buttery savor! Puff pastries are not the kind of snack you’d prepare yourself; you buy them from the supermarket. Right?
What if we told you we had a homemade, all-butter puff pastry recipe you can make from scratch in the comfort of your home? And the best part is that it only takes 4 ingredients and about 15 minutes to make. Say goodbye to store-bought, frozen puff pastries!
What Is Puff Pastry?
Puff pastry is a light and flaky delicacy that can be prepared in many different ways. You might also recognize it by its French name, pâte feuilletée. Like biscuits, danish, and pie crust, puff pastries are meant to be delicate, flaky, and buttery.
How to Make Puff Pastry?
We have cut back the number of steps and the overall time needed to make this flaky pastry – think of it as the timesaver recipe. Fear not; the result is nearly identical to authentic puff pastries you’ll find at your local bakery.
The cool thing about this recipe is that you can make it ahead of time and keep it in the fridge (tightly covered) for up to a week or in the freezer for a few weeks. If you decide to go the frozen route, just let it melt in the fridge until it’s flexible enough to be rolled out.
Ready to leave those frozen puff pastries on the store shelf? Let’s get to it!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter (2 1/2 sticks), cold
- 1/2 cup cold water
Calories: 418 KCAL
- Put the flour and salt in a big bowl and whisk to mix.
- Slice the cold butter into 1/4-inch slices and add to the mixture, tossing to coat.
- Add in the cold water until a thick dough forms.
- Collect the dough into a ball, flatten it, and cover in plastic wrap.
- Let it cool for 1 hour in the fridge, or 25 minutes in the freezer.
- Unwrap the dough, sprinkle the work area with flour, and spread the dough into a rectangle shape.
- Wrap the dough in thirds, kind of like a letter.
- Turn 90 degrees, roll, and wrap again.
- Repeat about 3 to 4 times, wrap the dough in plastic wrap again, and chill overnight.
What You Can Use Puff Pastry For
One of the most amazing things about puff pastry is its versatility. It can be prepared in so many different ways, both sweet and savory!
Savory Uses for Puff Pastry
- Slice the pastry into long pieces, add in some grated cheese, twist, and bake for tasty cheese straws.
- Wrap pastry pieces around sausages or bacon for the most delicious sausage/bacon rolls.
- Make tiny pastry tarts or cut rounds and top with cheese, spinach, and/or onions for a delicious aperitif or homemade pizza.
Sweet Uses for Puff Pastry
- Bake puff pastry and wrap around whipped cream or pastry cream and fruit for napoleons.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and roll it into a tight “C.” Slice and bake sweet elephant ears, better known as palmiers.
- Roll around cheese filling to get a tasty strudel.
- Sandwich around jelly for homemade pop tarts.
- Cut into circles and fry in boiling oil for the most irresistible donuts!
You can also store the dough in the freezer. It will last for several weeks if tightly wrapped. When you’re ready to use it again, simply let it melt in the refrigerator.
Some Tools You May Need
- Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons and Measuring Cups Combo
- OXO Good Grips 2-Cup Angled Measuring Cup
- OXO Good Grips 10oz Glass Prep Bowl
- Classic Wood Rolling Pin
Puff pastry has been on quite a journey from its modest beginnings in the 1600s. Once considered a minor ingredient, nowadays, it is used more as a gourmet culinary foundation for increasingly imaginative toppings and dressings. Today’s puff pastry choices are almost overwhelming with pastries, tarts, and quiches available in hundreds of filling or flavors. If you enjoy baking with puff pastries, we encourage you to experiment as much as you can.
Some more delicious puff pastry recipes you might enjoy:
- Broccoli Cheddar Hand Pies
- Puff Pastry Cinnamon Rolls
- Cheesy Puff Pastry Baked Eggs
- Cheesy Bacon Wrapped Puff Pastry Twists
- Puff Pastry Donuts
- Puff Pastry Jalapeno Poppers