If you are a health-conscious individual who loves to cook on Cinco de Mayo, then this post is for you! Celebrate Cinco de Mayo on the healthier side this year with some delicious yet healthy recipes. Whatever your reason for being healthy may be, we hope this post helps you find meals worth trying out in the kitchen.
It’s safe to say that drinks will be flowing this year’s Cinco de Mayo. So, why not make your margaritas a bit healthier while you’re at it?
For one, Classic Skinny Margarita, you’ll need:
- Kosher salt & lime wedge to rim the glass
- 1 ½ ounce silver tequila about 3 tablespoons
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice about 1 large or 1 ½ small limes
- 1 ½ tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice about ½ medium orange
- 1 teaspoon light agave nectar add 2 if you prefer a sweeter margarita
- To rim the glass, pour a thin layer of salt onto a small plate. Rub a lime wedge around the edge of your glass to wet it, then dip the glass into the salt to give it that salty layer.
- Fill the glass with ice and set it aside.
- For one (or two) drinks: fill your cocktail shaker with more ice. Combine the tequila, lime juice, orange juice, and agave. Close the shaker tightly and shake for at least 30 seconds. Pour into the rimmed glass and enjoy your homemade margarita.
Dips are lovely, right? Some can be a bit unhealthy, though. We’ve assembled our two favorite healthy dips that you can make right here at home.
For this super delicious dill dip, you’ll need:
- 1 1/2 c. whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise
- 1/4 c. freshly minced dill, plus more for garnish
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 tbsp. dried onion
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Kosher salt
- Sliced vegetables for serving
- Chips, crackers, or bread for serving
- Combine the yogurt, mayonnaise, dill, parsley, dried onion, and garlic powder in a medium bowl until thoroughly mixed—season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a large enough serving bowl, and sprinkle some fresh dill and more black pepper. This dip pairs great with prepared vegetables and crackers.
Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Dip
Pesto dip, anyone? For this recipe, you’ll need:
- 1 (8 ounces) package reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup mozzarella
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup basil pesto
- 1/3 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- Toasted whole-grain baguette
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Pan spray a small oval baking dish and set it aside.
- Add the cream cheese, 1/2 cup of mozzarella, yogurt, half of the pesto, and sun-dried tomatoes in a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Transfer the dip into the baking dish and spread out equally.
- Top with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella.
- Bake for 20 minutes until fully melted on top and heated through.
- Top with remaining pesto and enjoy it.
Taco Salad is a classic recipe everyone should have in their arsenal of recipes. This version is quick, tasty, healthy, and it’s a meal everyone can enjoy – young and old alike! For this recipe, you’ll need:
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1.25 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup bottled fire-roasted salsa
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp fresh cilantro
- 1 head romaine lettuce or iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 5 oz. tortilla chips, slightly crumbled
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced (or 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes)
- 1 avocado, diced (optional)
- 5 Tbsp Sour cream or Mexican crema (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion (optional)
- In a 12-inch non-stick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Break in the beef in chunks. Let sear until browned on the bottom for about 3 minutes, then turn and continue to cook until fully cooked.
- Remove fat from beef, mix in salsa, chili powder, and cumin—season with salt and pepper, and heat through for about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add in cilantro.
- Layer lettuce among individual plates. Top with beef mixture, avocado, cheese, chips, tomatoes, sour cream, and red onion if adding.
Celebrate Cinco de Mayo Right This Year
Looking for more healthy recipes? Make sure to check out our website and explore more healthy recipes to try at home. Happy Cinco de Mayo and Happy Cooking!